If you’ve been injured in a workplace accident, do you need a lawyer? If you’ve been injured at work, you may wonder if the expense of hiring an attorney is worth the trouble. Many people assume that since worker’s compensation is in place, they do not need to hire a lawyer. However, this is not always the case. Let’s look at some situations in which it’s important to hire a personal injury lawyer for an on-the-job injury.
First, let’s establish what worker’s compensation is and what it covers. Worker’s compensation is put into place to protect workers, but most employers are required to purchase workers’ compensation insurance to cover the costs. Often, insurance companies and employers are not interested in paying the full amount of compensation to which a worker is entitled, because this can be costly. Especially if there’s a lack of clarity about the injury, you may need an attorney to help you claim the benefits you are owed. Worker’s compensation is meant to cover things like medical bills, temporary partial or total disability, and lost wages.
Here are some reasons you might need to hire a lawyer for a workplace injury:
- You’re not receiving your benefits promptly. Many people do not know that if they are denied benefits or their benefits are delayed, they can appeal. That’s why about 80 percent of workers fail to pursue legal remedies if their benefits are denied. An attorney can help guide you through this process so that you can prove your case.
- You are being compelled to use company doctors that you do not trust. In some cases, the company or insurance company can determine which doctors you are allowed to see. However, as long as you don’t need workers’ compensation to pay for the examination, you can see your doctor to make sure you’re being properly treated.
- The doctor who treated you rushed you back to work. If the employer-approved physician who first treated you does not refer you to a specialize but clears you for work quickly, you have the right to a second opinion. Returning to work could invalidate your claim, so consult with an attorney if you’re unsure how to proceed.
- Your employer claims you’re not covered or that your claim is fraudulent. Sometimes your employer will deny that your injury was work-related, or, worse, deny the severity of your injuries and dispute your inability to work. Your employer may also claim that you work as an independent contractor or that there’s some other reason that you’re ineligible for workers’ compensation. An experienced attorney can help you sort this out and resolve your claim. doctor
- You have a pre-existing condition. Sometimes, employers try to use underlying health conditions as an excuse not to pay workers’ compensation. However, having a pre-existing condition does not disqualify you from receiving benefits.
- Your accident involved a third party. In some cases, someone other than you and your employer might be involved in the accident. Maybe you were driving for work and were hit by an irresponsible driver, or a defective piece of machinery was the cause of your accident. A personal injury attorney can help you determine if there are grounds for a civil claim.
- You have developed new symptoms over time. Some injuries don’t manifest all at once but can cause you to develop symptoms gradually. This can make it harder to prove that your injury is work-related. Having an attorney to help you prove your claim will enable you to get the benefits you need and deserve.
Of course, these are not all of the reasons to hire an attorney for your workplace accident. Being injured at work is a traumatic experience, and having an experienced attorney in your corner can help you navigate this trying time. Richards & Richards Law Group, P.L.L.C. is a full-service law firm in Ogden, Utah, dedicated to easing your stress, protecting your rights, and getting you what you deserve. Our family-owned firm offers top-notch legal advice and provides the highest-quality professional legal services at an affordable price. No matter what legal services you need, we can help. We have more than 30 years of legal experience on our side, and we’re committed to focusing our full attention on the needs of each client, to achieve the best possible results for each case. Call us today at 801.528.9357 or contact us through our website to schedule a legal consultation with our friendly, experienced, personal injury lawyers.